Forward Motor Room B-2
B-2 is the forward motor room.
The forward motor room contains the two main propulsion DC generators coupled to the diesel engines in B-1, the two main propulsion motors coupled in tandem to the starboard propeller shaft, the maneuvering board to control the propulsion equipment, the in-port ship's service generator, the evaporator for making fresh water and two low pressure boilers to provide steam for heat and habitability.
The specific equipment on the upper level consists of a generation and distribution panel (Switchboard, Forward and After Generator and Distribution, GE, 300kw, 450 volt AC generators, DC generators and DC bus tie, 40kw, 120v), a Motor Generator Set (Motor-Generator Set, Allis-Chalmers Co. Generator Data: 2 each 8 1/2 KW, 120 VDC; I each 2 KW, 120 VDC. Motor Data: 30 HP, 440 VAC, 1740 RPM) and the two boilers (Boiler, Auxiliary Steam, Ames Iron Works, Cyclotherm, 125 PSI Steam).
The specific equipment on the lower level consists of the two DC main propulsion generators (Generator, Main Propulsion, Allis-Chambers Co., 1200 KW, 525 VDC, 750 RPM), and the large Electric Drive Motor (Motor, Main Propulsion, Westinghouse Electric Co., Tandem Type, 525 VDC, 2270 Amp, 1500 HP, 600 RPM) that drives the starboard propeller shaft. The ship's evaporator (Distilling Plant, Griscom-Russell Co., Soloshell, 2 stage, low pressure) was located under the two boilers. There is a small three cylinder Diesel/AC Emergency Generator set (Generator, Emergency Ship's Service, Century Electric Co., 100 KW, 16.7 Amps, 125 KVA, 450 VAC, 60 cycle, 3 phase, 1200 RPM. Diesel Data: General Motors Co., Model 3-268A, 150 HP, 3 cylinder, 2 Cycle.) also located here for use when the ship is in port. Also in this space are two fire and bilge pumps (Pump, Fire & Flushing/Fire & Bilge, Ingersoll-Rand Co., Centrifugal, 200 GPM, 100 PSI, 3500 RPM. Motor Data: General Electric Co., 20 HP, 3500 RPM, 440 VAC), Sharples Purifier lube oil/fuel oil.
The boilers and evaporator were removed by the Greek Navy before the ship was transferred presumably to maintain Greek sister ships still in active service.
Space B-2 is also the main control station for the engineering department. The engineering watch officer was stationed here. He received orders from the bridge and passed them on to the other machinery spaces.
The focus of the restoration effort has been on the aft machinery spaces. It is anticipated that B-1 will be one of the last spaces restored aboard the SLATER.