Tours and Special Programs
At the USS SLATER museum ship all tours are guided so we can personalize your experience, transporting you back to July 1945. Our veteran tour guides lead you into the watch stations, battle stations, and living compartments of the sailors who served the United States of America, as part of the Allied Forces fighting tyranny.
Plan for your experience at the ship to take at least 90 minutes.
Special Considerations for Student and Group tours
- Your experience at the ship will take at least 90 minutes. Please inform us of time constraints in advance.
- Food, beverages, candy, gum or tobacco products are not permitted aboard ship. Water is the only refreshment provided at the museum.
- The tour will require climbing open stairways and walking through tight spaces which may be strenuous for some visitors.
- For your safety, wear low-heeled, non-slip walking shoes and casual dress.
- Tours are given rain or shine. Visitors should opt for rain gear over use of umbrellas as they make traversing the ship difficult.
- We advise you to wear sunscreen if you are sensitive to the sun.
- Large bags and backpacks are not permitted on the ship.
- Hand held cameras are permitted on the tour. Tripods are not permitted.
- There is one onshore toilet near the ship. If you have a large group, it is best to plan a restroom stop prior to arrival. There are no restrooms on board ship.
General Guided Tours
Tours begin approximately every 20 minutes
This guided tour invites you to step back into July 1945. See, hear, smell, and touch the experiences and objects first used by the teenage boys and young men who lived and fought onboard the USS SLATER DE766 during World War II. Experience the teamwork, attention to detail, and honor that are crucial to the safety of sailors and your ship. But beware, you might find yourself standing watch to protect your shipmates or swabbing the deck!
- Specialty Tours by Appointment
For individuals or groups who have special concerns such as mobility issues or subject matterrequests, please contact us in advance to schedule a tour.